St Mary’s Policy Statement on Safeguarding Children and Young People can be found below.
SUSIE MAPLEDORAM is the parish Safeguarding Officer and EMMA CHADWICK is the Deputy Safeguarding Officer. Their contact details are here.
Diocese of Manchester Safeguarding information can be found here.
Policy Statement on Children, Young People and the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich (This statement was agreed at the Parochial Church Council meeting held on 22 May 2018) .
- As members of this church, we commit ourselves to the nurturing, protection and safekeeping of all, especially children and young people.
- It is the responsibility of each one of us to prevent the physical, sexual and emotional abuse of children and young people and to report any abuse discovered or suspected.
- We recognise that our work with children and young people is the responsibility of the whole church.
- Our church is committed to supporting, resourcing and training those who work with children and young people and to providing supervision.
- Our church is committed to following the policy and procedures published by the Diocese.
- The parish will adopt good practice guidelines.
- Each worker with children and young people must undertake diocesan Safeguarding training, know the guidelines and undertake to follow them. Each shall be given a copy of the Parish’s agreed procedures and good practice guidelines.
- As part of our commitment to children and young people, the PCC has appointed SUSIE MAPLEDORAM to be the Safeguarding Officer and EMMA CHADWICK to be the Deputy Safeguarding Officer.
- Children and young people are an important part of our Church today
- They have much to give as well as to receive
- We will listen to them
- As we nurture them in worship, learning, and in community life, we will respect the wishes and feelings of children and young people.
The Parochial Church Council has also adopted a Safe Church Policy.